Cachexia, often known as wasting disease, is a disease that primarily affects individuals with severe medical issues. Up to 5 million Americans are affected by the illness, according to newsmedical.com. It’s a potentially deadly condition, but you might be shocked to learn how cannabis aids patients with cachexia.
In this post, we’ll discuss what Wasting Syndrome is and how medical cannabis might assist those who suffer from it.
What is Cachexia?
Cachexia, often referred to as wasting disease, is a condition that results in loss of strength, weight, and muscle and fat. It affects people with HIV/AIDS and cancer as well as other serious chronic progressive illnesses.
Cachectic individuals are those who aren’t attempting to lose weight. Cachexia, which has no known cause, effects both children and adults. Anorexia and cachexia often occur together.
Cachexia can be confused with other causes of weight loss, which is why it’s so important to differentiate between it and other illnesses that induce weight loss. Cachexia develops near the end of chronic disease. Patients suffering from the following diseases are affected most frequently:
- Celiac disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Chronic kidney disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Mercury poisoning
- Congestive heart failure
- Severe sepsis
If you have cachexia, your body may be out of balance with respect to various chemicals. It’s due to this problem that your muscles waste away and you lose weight. Myostatin, glucocorticoids (hormones produced by your kidneys), and insulin-like growth factor l (IFG-l) are all factors that contribute to muscle wasting. You could also have a testosterone deficiency.
Increased levels of cytokines (inflammatory molecules that encourage weight reduction) cause your weight loss. Elevated amounts of cytokines in the blood are sometimes linked to one of the long-term illness states listed above.
Symptoms Of Cachexia
When you have cachexia, you may not seem malnourished. If you were overweight when your chronic illness began, you won’t appear immediately emaciated if you’re thin now. Cachexia, on the other hand, can be quite apparent even if you’re a tiny person.
Cachexia is a complex term that encompasses a wide range of symptoms. Cachexia is often difficult to identify because the following symptoms must all be present:
- The ideal body fat percentage is 10 percent or lower.
- Losing more than five percent of your overall weight by accident.
- Having elevated levels of cytokines in your blood.
- If you’re older than 65 and under 20 years old, your body mass index (BMI) must be less than 22.
- Above 35 grams per liter is required to be regarded “low.” Protein albumin is produced in the liver and helps to maintain your body’s fluid equilibrium. When protein albumin levels become abnormally low, it can cause edema, particularly in the ankles.
Effects Of Cachexia
When you have cachexia, you’re generally already suffering from an underlying chronic condition.Cachexia and chronic illness go hand in hand with a slew of unpleasant and uncomfortable symptoms. The worsening of your chronic disease symptoms may be caused by cachexia, while the converse is also true. You’ll probably notice a deterioration in your quality of life, as well as a decrease in your ability to respond to therapies. You’ll be more susceptible to infections because of your weakened immune system. You’re probably going to feel constantly tired and sad.
Your muscles, bones, and brain will deteriorate at a far greater rate than in the past. Your body’s only defense against starvation is to store nutrients for later use or as fat reserves. Even having a phone conversation may take all of your strength because your body has nowhere to store its nutrients. Because your bodily functions are severely disrupted, you may become quite unwell. Fortunately, there are treatments options available to assist with wasting syndrome symptoms, such as medical marijuana.
Research Involving Marijuana & Wasting Syndrome / Cachexia
For persons with wasting syndrome, it appears that the old notion of smoking marijuana and acquiring the “munchies” has some truth to it. Marijuana was given orally to AIDS patients who were experiencing cachexia in a 2007 study at Columbia University. It significantly boosted their appetite, resulting in weight gain.
A 2011 research revealed that THC orally increased the appetite of cancer patients by a staggering 64%! The THC component in marijuana so far appears to be most successful in increasing hunger.
Epidiolex is a drug derived from the cannabis plant that contains a mixture of chemicals known as cannabinoids. THC, which stands for delta-9THC, is one of the hundreds of cannabinoids found in cannabis that interact with the endocannabinoid system, a signaling network that controls feeding behavior. Because THC tricks the brain into believing it is hungry, it is particularly effective.
What Symptoms of Cachexia Can Marijuana Treat?
You’ve undoubtedly heard about the hunger-curbing benefits of marijuana. Marijuana is notorious for giving people the munchies, to say the least. Not only that, but it also treats nausea, vomiting, sadness, and general malaise that you experience while suffering from cachexia. Let’s take a look at some of the finest cannabis strains for treating cachexia symptoms.
Best Strains Of Marijuana To Use For Cachexia
On a federal level, pork remains illegal in the United States. Many states, though, have legalized its medical and recreational consumption. To qualify for medical cannabis for cachexia, you must have a condition that is on your state’s list of qualifying medical pot illnesses, as well as a medical marijuana doctor’s prescription. You may then get a medical marijuana card after that.
You can buy medical cannabis products for your requirements as soon as you’ve received permission. If recreational marijuana is legal in your state, you won’t need a medical marijuana card. However, you might not be able to access to the same medical marijuana treatments that those with qualifying health issues have access to.
There are several various types of cachexia medical marijuana available for purchase at dispensaries. Each souche has its own set of properties. To learn what is best for you, speak with a knowledgeable budtender or your medical marijuana doctor. Meanwhile, have a look at this short list to get started.
When you have cachexia, lack of appetite is perhaps the most common symptom to address. You may notice that your nausea and vomiting clear up when you eat properly. Take a look at the following three cannabis strains for further assistance.
- Sonoma Coma. Sonoma Coma is a rare sativa strain from Sonoma County, California. You will feel invigorated and uplifted when you consume it. You should also be hungry.
- Orange Skunk. Orange Skunk has several advantages. It lowers anxiety and sadness while also increasing hunger. Orange Skunk, a cross between two strains, is a powerful pain reliever.
- Caramelo. Caramelo is a hybrid strain with a sativa-dominant profile. It helps to relieve nausea and discomfort, as well as making you feel energized and hungry. The strain’s effects are quick-acting and good for daytime usage.
Taking marijuana may assist you in eating, retaining your meals, and combating weight loss and muscular wasting. The following cannabis strains can help with nausea and vomiting:
- Durban Poison. Don’t be put off by the name. Durban Poison is a sativa strain that boosts energy and alleviates nausea sensations. You may feel especially inventive when you smoke this sort of marijuana, since it has powerful cerebral effects.
- Sour Diesel. Sour Diesel, or Skunk #1, is recognized for its lemony scent. Despite the fact that it has a unique fragrance, this popular sativa has many similarities to a morning coffee. You’ll be full of energy. When you smoke Sour Diesel, you may notice that your nausea vanishes quickly.
- Mango Kush. Mango Kush is a popular choice for novices. When you smoke this kind of marijuana, you immediately feel calm, happy, and less nauseated. It’s a good choice for daytime use since it battles social anxiety, making you feel at ease and talkative.
Cannabis can help you feel better. People have been self-medicating with marijuana for ages, to be sure. Naturally, when you’re sick, your mood is less than optimistic. If your emotional well being deteriorates into sadness, you may become isolated and down, and even unable to get out of bed in the morning. Fortunately, the following strains can help you cope with sadness:
- Blue Dream. Blue Dream is a sativa-dominant hybrid that’s certainly one of the most recognized strains in the world. It’s good for daytime use and makes you feel calm and cheerful. It’s notorious for its creative energy.
- Granddaddy Purple. Granddaddy Purple is a popular indica strain among medical marijuana users suffering from depression. It’s greatest taken at night, owing to its physically heavy yet mentally stimulating effects.
- Chocolope. Chocolope is a sativa strain that relieves pain, tiredness, and depression. When you consume Chocolope, you feel wonderful. It’s advisable to start with a low dose and work your way up because this strain might induce anxiety.
Chronic illness takes a toll on your energy. You’re undoubtedly feeling unwell and weary all the time. Having little energy makes you sad. You may have lost interest in pastimes you used to enjoy, and your social life may be suffering as a result. These three Sativa strains are particularly good for alleviating tiredness because it is an issue for you:
- Jack’s Cleaner. Jack’s Cleaner makes you feel more positive and productive. It makes completing tasks easier. You are once again happier and more yourself.
- Super Silver Haze. The energizing Super Silver Haze makes you feel focused. Its effects can last for a whole day. As a result, this is the ideal strain for you if you have a lot to do.
- OG Kush. OG Kush is a popular indica strain that makes you feel drowsy yet happy and balanced. When you smoke OG Kush, you’ll move at your own speed and get things done slowly.
Best Methods Of Marijuana Treatment To Use To Treat Cachexia Symptoms
Let’s take a look at some of the most efficient cannabis strains for cachexia now, and how to consume them. Your health is already declining. As a result, you’re probably not going to want to smoke marijuana. So, what are your options?
- Vaping. Although e-cigarettes are not inexpensive, they deliver almost immediate pain relief.
- Sprays. Cannabis sprays are available in a range of tastes and are portable. Also, if you have trouble chewing solid foods, sprays may be convenient.
- Tinctures. These alcohol-based extracts may be added to your beverages and meals.
- Juices. You may combine raw, fresh cannabis leaves with a variety of vegetable or fruit juice to make tea. If you don’t feel like eating much, juicing is a fantastic alternative.
- Edibles. Edibles are available for purchase or home production. These are discreet to consume, regardless of where you are. If you have trouble swallowing edibles, consider purchasing pot-infused lollipops and lozenges.
The methods described above eliminate the need to smoke marijuana and allow you to try various ingestion techniques until you discover the one that works best for you.
Cachexia, which is a serious condition that demands further study, is one of them. Although cachexia isn’t likely to be healed entirely with cannabis alone, it does go a long way toward alleviating your symptoms. Marijuana and its extracts have firmly established themselves as medicines that provide substantial advantages if you are suffering from cachexia. Cannabis and its extracts can help you increase your appetite – and therefore your body weight – which can lead to a better quality of life.
If you or someone you care about is looking for a technique to alleviate their symptoms without using harsh medicines, check out a medical marijuana doctor or dispensary today to learn more about cannabis and cachexia.
Final Thoughts About Marijuana and Cachexia
It’s terrible to witness your loved one experience wasting disease, so imagine what it’s like to be on the receiving end. There is hope for the future in the form of marijuana, which can boost your appetite and assist you in maintaining a healthy weight. Please check with your doctor before using medical marijuana as a treatment if you have wasting syndrome.